I feel like something is poking my lip/cheek. What should I do?
If a wire is sticking straight out and poking your cheek or lip, use a pencil eraser to push the poking wire down or you can place wax on it.
What foods should I avoid while I am wearing braces?
- · Chewy foods such as bagels, hard rolls, and licorice
- · Crunchy foods such as popcorn, ice, and chips
- · Sticky foods such as caramels and gum
- · Hard foods such as nuts and candy
- · Foods you have to bite into, such as corn on the cob, apples, and carrots
Chewing on hard things (for example, pens, pencils or fingernails) can damage the braces. Damaged braces will cause treatment to take longer!
What foods can I enjoy while wearing braces?
There are many foods that you can still eat and enjoy with braces! Here are just a few examples:
- · Soft foods: Macaroni, pastas, mashed potatoes, & casseroles
- · Cooked vegetables
- · Fruits: Bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries & grapes
- · Candy that does not contain nuts: M&Ms, Hershey bars, & Reese’s